Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Specific Breeds » Blue Nape Parrot » The Blue Nape Parrot
The Blue Nape Parrot
AdminDate: Friday, 2011-06-03, 4:02 AM | Message # 1
Egg
Group: Administrators

This species is the smallest of the Tanygnathus genus that is “commonly” kept in US Aviculture. They are found naturally occurring throughout the Philippines and the Talaud Islands, usually in secondary forests and forest edges.

The Blue-nape strongly resembles the great-billed parrot, but is smaller, has a obvious blue suffusion across the crown and nape, and not as defined pattern on the wing coverts. The differences between the male and female are not obvious.

The diet is the same as the great-bills and the muller’s, with a high concentration of seeds, nuts, and fruits in our sprout mix. I try to pick out the smaller, easier to shell almonds for the blue napes.

These outgoing little guys are very interactive and talkative. The males seem more able and willing to talk, but I have had females talking and vocalizing. They can emit a sharp screech in alarm, but for the most part are not too loud. They are generally very active, and require space, toys, and attention.

This is the one species of the Tanygnathus genus that does not exhibit as much female aggression. Both of my pairs have slept in the nest-boxes together, and have worked out a harmonious relationship, sharing food bowls and space. We have discovered , though, that the Philippine blue nape is probably the most weather sensitive of the Tanygnathus.

wapmanDate: Monday, 2011-08-15, 1:04 PM | Message # 2
Egg
Group: Users
bakit ganun yung Blue nape parrot ko gang ngayon sinusubuan ko pa din.. hindi pa marunong kumain mag isa gang ngayon.. nahuhulog yung pagkain sa bibig nya... nakakalipad na sya ng konti eh buo na din balahibo nya sa ilalim na lang ng pakpak balahibong pusa pa din

CloudHanzDate: Monday, 2011-08-22, 6:05 AM | Message # 3
Egg
Group: Moderators
ganyan talaga sir, ung sa akin nga,hanggang ngayon sinusubuan ko parin,pero alam niya kumain,madali lang naman silang turuang kumain magisa e, ang gawin mo lang po,habang ngayon na bata pa po xa, ilagay mo xa sa isang box or kung may aquarium ka,yun gamitin mo..tpos lagyan mo ng rabbit beddings, hayaan mo lang xang magexperiment sa mga beddings,kakagatin nya mga yun hanggang sa maiisip nya na mas mainam pala kapag kinakagat nya ang kinakain nya, mabibigla k nlng po kapag isang umaga at pakakainin mo na xa,lalayuan n nya yung kutsara.. happy

wapmanDate: Wednesday, 2011-08-24, 8:39 AM | Message # 4
Egg
salamat sir hehe masyado pala silang malambing nasa malaking cage kasi sya eh pag nakikita ako gusto pumunta sakin gusto pa din magpasubo pero nakakalipad na ngayon buti nga bumabalik sa cage pag lumilipad nakakatakot na pakawalan tongue

OrEODate: Wednesday, 2011-09-21, 2:12 PM | Message # 5
Egg
sir at what age po malalaman ang gender nito? at panu malalaman?

CloudHanzDate: Thursday, 2011-10-06, 11:14 AM | Message # 6
Egg
Group: Moderators
never will you be able to know the gender of this breed..

OrEODate: Friday, 2011-10-07, 4:48 PM | Message # 7
Egg
sir, at what age po pwede ng e-clutch... update ko lang po, yesterday i clipped my BNP's wings because i want to tame my pet... tapos kanina haizst, natuka lang nman nya ring finger ko, sakit sobra!!! tagas dugo... aw... huhuuh

MishaDate: Sunday, 2012-03-04, 5:18 PM | Message # 8
Egg
aw BNP pala un nadedo ko na chick parrot last summr... it didnt survive kahit sobrang handfed ko tas complete vitamins pa hays... sad mahal pa naman nyan......

sana may makatulong sakin pano mag alaga ng ganyan.. two times na ko nawalan ng parrot

LeoDate: Sunday, 2013-06-23, 11:27 AM | Message # 9
Egg
Good Day! Sayang, it seems that the site is not anymore active, as I havent seen new posts. Sana, maging active ulit ung mga members dito, as this can be of great help to members who are new to birding, especially the BNP. I just acquired a bnp last June 1, 2013, and mejo nangangapa ako sa pagpapakain. Mejo pihikan pala itong BNP, nd katulad ng mga previous birds ko na matatakaw. Anyway, sa nngaun naman, mejo alam ko na ung favorites nya. Tamed 100% nga pala itong bnp ko at may alam na xang 1 word. He is a male kasi ung behavior na na gustong makipag mate.

littledevilDate: Thursday, 2013-08-22, 6:52 AM | Message # 10
Egg
good day!!! buhayin ntin ang thread n to pra madami matulungan..

fdclhtDate: Tuesday, 2014-09-23, 2:26 PM | Message # 11
Egg
Hello everyone! New BNP owner here and thought I'd drop by and join the stagnant conversation. I got "Tutti" about a month ago. Tutti should be about 2 mos. old by now. The chest feathers have become full. More agile in moving up and down the branches and cage. 
Diet consist of syringe feeding infant formula mixed with shredded vegetables, mixed vegetable cutlets and some seeds. 
Lets you know when it's hungry with a loud squawk and won't stop till fed. Getting agile at handling food with it's claws so slowly giving fruits and other vegetables. 
Likes to strip and nibble the perch I cut from trees.
Likes to stay outside the cage and yes, clipped outer feathers just in case it gets a bird brained idea of flying south and taking my investment with it!
I've had a couple of africans and a pair of cockatiels which are still with me up to now but they're starting to age, almost all are tame and can be handled. 
Hope to learn from you all on the finer points of bird training.

Forum » Specific Breeds » Blue Nape Parrot » The Blue Nape Parrot
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: